Follow by Email

Sunday, November 5, 2006

Chance encounters 出会い

Despite it having rained all day on Friday, and despite the weather forecast calling for showers Saturday, it turned out to be a nice day. And what better way to enjoy sunshine, warm temperatures and fair skies than to go for a walk in Takeng (Dakeng)? In the early afternoon, I headed out on my scooter on Chunkung (Jungong 軍攻) Road, and 45 minutes later arrived at the start of the No. 2 trail. The plan was to walk up the No. 2, go along the ridge top to and then descend the No. 3 trail, and finally walk back along the road to my scooter parked at the second trail. About 3/4 of the way up the No. 2, I passed two young boys who were taking a break. I greeted them with a "Nihao" and they replied in kind. But as I continued up towards the top, I heard them talking to each other in Japanese. It turned out that not only were they were in fact Japanese - Yuichi, 10, and his 6 year-old brother, Taiyo, from Fuchu 府中市 in Tokyo - but they were also doing the same walk I was doing (up No. 2 and down No. 3). So I ended up having two companions along for the hike who gave me a chance to practice my admittedly rusty Japanese. We were joined at the top by the boys' mother (Emmy, who was Taiwanese) and her friend (whose name I didn't catch), and the five of us enjoyed a long, leisurely stroll down to the bottom and back to our vehicles. We even spotted a monkey on the No. 3 trail. It may not have been the strenuous workout I was hoping for, but for a couple of hours on Saturday I felt like I was back in Japan.

一昨日雨が降って、天気情報によると土曜日も雨が降る。しかし、天気はよかったので台中の大坑とういう山に行った。上に登る途中で2人の日本人の男の子に会った。いっしょにぼくたちは2番目の山道を登った。上で男の子のお母さんに会って、それからみんな3番目の山道をゆっくりと降下した。お母さんは台湾人が日本語が上手だ。日本語の話すチャンスがほとんどないで、そのために土曜日は楽しかった。

Going up! 登ろう 

Taiyo and Yuichi

Views 眺め 

It's difficult to see, but if you look closely, there is a monkey 猿 in the photo on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment