Saturday, January 16, 2010

Take a walk on the mild side

My new Casio カシオ comes with what it calls a "YouTube" function, so after finishing work on Friday night, I decided to give it a go. Like many provincial Taiwanese cities, Fengyuan 豐原 has a small downtown area that can get surprisingly active, though this night it was comparatively quiet. The result of my brief walkabout can be seen below:


Starting off at the city's main Matsu 媽祖 Temple, I proceeded to walk down a section of Miaotung 廟東, a narrow street lined with food stalls that is Fengyuan's sole claim to fame within Taiwan. About halfway down, I turned onto a narrower lane crammed with clothing stores, several of which carry "risque" clothing that would seem pretty tame to anyone who has spent time in urban Japan. The lane ends near the entrance to the Pacific Department Store, where I then turned back toward Chung-cheng 中正 Road, the main artery of the city. From there, it was a short walk back to the Matsu Temple. Gripping stuff it ain't, but the video does show a slice of nightlife in a typical Taiwanese burg, and the images are a lot clearer than the vids recorded with the old Pentax ペンタックス.

As for the shakiness, that's what happens when a single giant 外人 hand tries to hold a small 日本製 camera. Next time, I'll try to use both mitts.

No comments:

Post a Comment