Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Leisurely Farming

My kindergarten had a field trip today to one of this country's numerous "leisure farms", the Taiwanese version of a dude ranch. These places give Taiwanese kids, the vast majority of whom grow up in densely-populated urban settings, a chance to experience a little (with the emphasis on "little") of what life was like for their grandparents. Amber tagged along on this excursion, and for her and my students, it was a fun outing, with opportunities for cooking sweet potatoes in earthen stoves, painting stones, going for rides on ox-pulled carts, harassing pigs in enclosed pens and handling beetle grubs. I'm completely exhausted, but the little ones (my daughter included) all had a good time.

Amber crosses that bridge when she comes to it. It was a surprisingly flimsy structure.

The kids get ready to be taken for a ride.

I also got to sit on the cart. This is the view I had for the entire duration of the ride.  Tái​wān​ 台灣 for me in a nutshell.

Amber had no problem when it came to handling wriggling fish...

...or writhing insect larvae. That's my girl!

This shot was taken from the bus window on the ride back to the farm. I have to trust the hiragana 平仮名 when it says 緣份 means enfun in Japanese, as my Japanese online kanji 漢字 dictionary had no entry for yuán​ 緣. Enfun no kami えんふんのかみ apparently means something along the lines of "The Fate of Hair".

At the end of a long day, a visit to the Gordon Biersch restaurant/brewery was a welcome respite for Amber's dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment