Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Further clarification

Today's Japan Times ジャパンタイムズ has the Kyōdō News 共同通信社 account on the apparent end to the case of the tragic murders of two Taiwanese students last week:

A 30-year-old Taiwanese man wanted on suspicion of fatally stabbing two female students from Taiwan at their apartment in Tōkyō's 東京 Taitō Ward 台東区 on Thursday has committed suicide in Nagoya 名古屋, police said Monday.

Chang Chih-yang 張志揚, who had been missing since Thursday, slashed his throat with a knife while being taken in for questioning by police, Tōkyō police said.

Questions are being asked as to why the police failed to search and handcuff Chang before taking him into custody, but for all intents and purposes, his death brings this terrible episode to its sad conclusion.

Today was a glorious one weather-wise, which only added to the disappointment I felt when I discovered I wouldn't be able to get in one final hike before our departure to the U.S. this Friday. I had intended on doing a loop along Trails 5, 2 and 3 by approaching from the Zhongxingling 中興嶺 area, a ridge located behind the Dakeng 大坑 mountain region. To my bitter surprise, however, the narrow lane leading to the No. 5 trailhead was pretty much impassable due to some road surfacing work. Instead of the chance of trying out a new hiking/walking route, I had to content myself with riding my scooter around the top of the ridge. At least the scenery made up for some of the frustration I was feeling.

The mountain in the background is the one traversed by Dakeng trails 1-5.

Looking down on the mushroom farms of Xinshe 新社

The Central Mountain Range  中央山脈 looks large in the background


A road sign pointed the way to a "Radio Station", so I duly followed. The signs outside indicated the complex belonged to Chunghwa Telecom 中華電信, but the camouflaged antenna suggested something else. I wasn't sure about the legality of taking pictures of the site. If it is illegal to have done so, I'll save the government the time and trouble of tracking me down - it was me. I did it.

The power of pork - a new, expensive-looking and unused pedestrian bridge spanning a dry riverbed, in an expansive area filled with vacant lots and roads with little vehicle traffic.



No comments:

Post a Comment