Monday, July 6, 2009

Another Hōgen Sunday

Another Sunday, another shopping trip to the Fengyuan branch of Carrefour, where I added to my North Coast Brewing Company (Fort Bragg, CA) beer collection by picking up bottles of Blue Star Wheat Beer and Scrimshaw, a Pilsner-style brew. Today I also discovered that there is a balcony on the 5th floor of the hypermarket where it is possible to go outside and take in the views of Ilha Formosa:



On the way home, we paid a quick visit to my in-laws, where I tried to photograph the sunset from their fourth-floor balcony:


The house on the right looks like it belongs to a wealthy family. When they first built the home, the area was mostly vacant lots. Unfortunately for them, a traditional market opened next door a couple of years ago, bringing with it traffic, noise and odors (the long, low structure between the market and the house houses the market's toilets!). To make matters worse, a night market has recently started up on the other side! It's this lack of zoning ordinances (or the lax enforcement of them) that makes up one of the reasons why I'm hesitant, despite the urging of my wife, to invest what little savings we have in buying a home in Taiwan. I'm sure the people who live across the street from my parents-in-law could probably do with a case of the bottle of Old No. 38 Stout (alcohol content: 5.5%) that I've just finished off!

No comments:

Post a Comment