Thursday, July 25, 2019

Waive your arms in the air like you just don't care...

It was once a cutting-edge independent record label. Now it's an airport boutique trading in grunge-themed nostalgia (flannel shirts, anyone?). Getting old bites at times...

I've been placed on waivers, and having not been claimed by any other foreign ministry, the State Department has rescinded the request and is keeping me on its roster...for now. As noted in the previous blog post, I didn't reach the required level of proficiency in Amharic, though I did significantly improve my reading score following a retest on Wednesday morning. In any event, my employer has decided to damn the torpedoes and send me full-speed ahead to Addis Ababa . So we leave this evening, flying from Dulles Airport via Frankfurt to Addis Ababa Bole International Airport. The next two years are going to be interesting, to say the least. Ethiopia is going to be very different from our previous tours in China and Lithuania...or perhaps it won't. Only time will tell...

From all reports Internet service is far from reliable in Ethiopia, prone to periodic shutdowns and slowdowns. So there's no telling when I'll be able to start posting again on this blog once we've settled into our new abode. Hopefully it won't be too long. In the meantime wish us well on our travels and see you in አዲስ አበባ!

https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/travel/my-kind-of-place-addis-ababa-ethiopia-1.797416


Yifang Taiwan Fruit Tea 一芳台灣水果茶 inside the Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood, Washington. The most Taiwanese tea shop I've patronized so far in the U.S. - namely because my wife and daughter were able to order entirely in Mandarin when they visited last month




Mount Rainier, as seen from my window seat soon after takeoff from Sea-Tac Airport. I made a lightning-quick visit to the Pacific Northwest over the weekend to say goodbye to my father and sister


Apparently while I was away in the other Washington, the DMV was battered by yet another violent windstorm, at least judging by this large tree which collapsed next to the local soccer pitch

Takeout Thai for dinner on our last evening in Falls Church


No comments:

Post a Comment