Thursday, June 22, 2023

Fourth day in Japan

 

The Kamakura Daibutsu 

The start of Komachi Street 小町通り in Kamakura 鎌倉, lined with restaurants, shops and tourists:


Dankazura 段葛, the raised pathway leading to Tsurugaoka Hachimangū 鶴岡八幡宮:



In spring the walkway would be drowning in the pink and white from the cherry trees lining the path:


Stopping for a chocolate break before reaching the shrine:



The view looking over the Taiko Bridge 太鼓橋:


Posing in front of the dance stage 舞殿:


Peering up at the main hall 本殿 from the Grand Stairway 打石段:



Ravenous carp (and ducks, and pigeons):


"I drink, therefore I am" - J. Boyd:


Soba noodles 蕎麦 and tempura 天ぷら at Kamakura Yamaji かまくら山路 on Komachi-dōri:



Kamakura's most famous sight - the Great Buddha of Kamakura 鎌倉大仏 at Kōtoku-in 高徳院 (unnecessary photo filter courtesy of my daughter):








For a mere ¥50 you can have a peek inside the venerable structure:


Waraji straw sandals 草鞋, built to scale for the Daibutsu:


Back on the streets of Kamakura, and snacking on dango 団子:


I had a custard treat in the shape of the Buddha, meaning that when I tore his head off with my teeth, I condemned myself to an eternity of suffering in one of the Buddhist hells:


The Enoden 江ノ電 train pulling into Hase Station 長谷駅:


The rickety train took us through backyards and along the Sagami Bay 相模湾 to Enoshima Island 江ノ島. The rainy season finally caught up with us as we made our way from the station and across the Enoshima Benten Bridge 江ノ島弁天橋 to the Zuishinmon 瑞心門, the entrance to Enoshima-jinja 江島神社:






Amber, who can't stop talking about her cat Timi waiting for her back in Beijing 北京, made a friend while walking back to the mainland:




It was a long train ride from Enoshima back across the Kantō region 関東地方 to Odaiba お台場. The purpose of the trek was to see the artificial island's large statue of Gundam 実物大ユニコーンガンダム立像, even though Amber professes not to be a particular fan of the series:



Every evening between 1900 and 2100 hours there's a five minute-long light show involving the statue. We had dinner at a Hawaiian restaurant while watching the performance from above:





Meal over, it was our turn to stand in the drizzle and see for ourselves the modern draws of Tōkyō 東京:


Tomorrow will be our last full day in Japan's capital before we move on...





3 comments:

  1. "I had a custard treat in the shape of the Buddha, meaning that when I tore his head off with my teeth, I condemned myself to an eternity in one of the Buddhist hells:"
    OR, if you practiced Hinayana Buddhism or possibly even Zen, tearing the head off of the Buddha would be a sign of enlightenment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Carl the greensKeeper said, "So I've got that going for me. :) Gunga Galunga. :)

      Delete