Tuesday, July 29, 2008

もうひとつの台風

また?! Yep. Ten days after having to stay home from work due to Kalmaegi, Typhoon Fung-wong (a Cantonese word meaning "Phoenix") has given me another unplanned, not to mention unwanted, day off. Mother Nature owes me some back pay! The signs of the approaching typhoon were obvious yesterday, as it was very windy all day long on Sunday, though it didn't rain here in Fengyuan (Fongyuan) 豊原. From the early morning to the mid-afternoon this Monday, it was raining constantly, but there was little or no wind, and the amount of rainfall was no heavier than usual, so I was left wondering why I had to stay home from today (banks, financial markets, government offices and schools were all closed). The answer became apparent around 3:30 or so, naturally when we decided to go out to the supermarket. Here is a video I made of the windy and rainy conditions on our way back home from the store (note how the van in front of us can't be bothered to wait for the signal to change to green - standard driving practice here in Taiwan. You will also hear my daughter get very excited as we pass the local 7-Eleven. She says "Doraemon" ドラえもん, as the convenience store chain has been giving away little figurines of the Japanese アニメ character as part of a promotion):


Here's a photo, taken in our neighborhood, of a large potted tree that has been blown over, knocking over at least three parked scooters in the process. You can get an idea by the water droplets on the camera lens what it was like to be standing outside while the typhoon was passing through:


As of 9:30 this evening, I still don't know whether or not I'll be going to work on Tuesday. If I do go out tomorrow, I'm sure I'll be seeing a lot more damage from Fung-wong.

No comments:

Post a Comment