Wednesday, December 24, 2008

No snow here

The last entry on this blog is the result of what happens when I leave my computer unattended in order to use the bathroom, and my 2-year 11 month-old daughter assumes control. If only I knew what she was trying to say!

Christmas is almost upon us, and while friends and family back home are digging out from under the snow, here in central Taiwan the weather has been clear, sunny and, while not warm, certainly nothing like the freezing temperatures being felt in most of the U.S. at the moment. Taking advantage of this, I got up early this morning and rode out to Cheung-chung Park. This time, however, instead of going up trails, I walked uphill along a road, and upon reaching the top, kept on going, eventually completing a long loop back to my parked scooter after just over two hours walking:


The top of the hill is covered with fruit orchards, with views of the mountains in the distance. On the right is the scene that greeted me as I walked down the other side, back towards Cheung-chung Park. In the distance, the cities of Fengyuan 豐原 and Houli 后里 can be seen on the left and right, respectively, with the Taiwan Strait 台湾海峡 far off in the distance. The Chinese-looking building in the foreground, on the left, is Fengyuan's Martyrs' Shrine. I've never seen it open, yet the grounds are still maintained.

On the left is the view looking down from the parking lot of the Fengyuan Country Club golf course. The bridge on the left serves trains of the Western Line 西部幹線 (or, more specifically, the Taichung Line 台中線 or Mountain Line 山線) of the Taiwan Railway Administration 台灣鐵路管理局. The bridge seen on the right is part of the original Mountain Line track, which has now been converted into the Houfeng Bicycle Trail. The photograph on the right shows some Bougainvillea. The building in the background is the dormitory for players on the Sinon Bulls 興農牛 professional baseball team.




No comments:

Post a Comment