Monday, June 8, 2009

When in Taiwan...

I'm back in Taiwan now, and so it's only natural that my activities take on a Taiwanese hue. Which is perhaps why today we took our daughter to the Taichung Folk Park. Though small and charging an entrance fee (NT50 for adults - $1.50/¥150), this park is one of my favorite places in the city. There is a reconstructed traditional Taiwanese-style courtyard home, and a small museum in the basement that has interesting displays of everyday artifacts from days gone by. There are also several shops that offer traditional toys in addition to the usual tacky souvenirs. When you include the fish and turtle-stocked pond, and the open, grassy spaces, it's no wonder Amber always has a good time here.

 
Taking my new Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks 福岡ソフトバンクホークス cap out for its first spin today.


I don't know the English name of the toy that we bought for Amber today (come to think of it, I have no idea what it's called in Chinese, Japanese or any other language, for that matter), but it didn't take her long to master. Who needs things that beep, talk, flash and/or move, and require batteries in order to do so? My daughter doesn't, it seems.


No comments:

Post a Comment