Sunday, January 30, 2011

新年快樂,恭喜發財

The Lunar New Year is almost upon us, with next Thursday being the start of the Year of the Rabbit 卯. Of course, everyone in Taiwan refers to this time as being the "Chinese New Year", but in deference to our friends in Korea, Vietnam and other non-Chinese societies who also observe this occasion, I'll take the more politically-correct path. I like the Japanese definition best - it's 旧正月, or the Old (or Former) New Year.

In any event, the Kaminoge family will be up before the break of dawn tomorrow morning in order to ensure that we reach Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport 台灣桃園國際機場 in plenty of time for our morning flight to Seattle, via Narita International Airport 成田国際空港. The next two weeks will be spent with my family, with Amber getting her once-a-year opportunity to see her grandparents, and to reconnect with her American side. We don't intend on going on any long trips, but I don't plan on just sitting on the sofa all day, and catching up on all those TV programs I've missed over the course of the past year (an exception will be made for the Super Bowl, of course!). There will be some personal business to attend to, but for the most part, I'm looking forward to just relaxing, and being back in a part of the world that I've spent far too much time away from.

With our new Canon キヤノン camera, I hope to take some good pictures while we're in the Pacific Northwest, and post them here in a couple weeks' time. So, without further ado, I wish all of you a Happy Lunar New Year, and may you have a prosperous Year of the Rabbit!

Xīn​nián​kuài​lè​ and Gōng​xǐ​fā​cái​!

No comments:

Post a Comment