Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ghosts of stations past

Tuesday afternoons are usually my hiking time, but once in a while I opt to go exploring on my scooter, and today was one of those whiles. So, after lunch, I rode over to pay another visit to the disused Taian Station 泰安車站 in Houli 后里, on the old Mountain Route 舊山線 of the Western Railway Line 西部幹線. Having been a couple of times already (see here for last one), I wasn't too disappointed to find the old station overrun with several busloads' worth of elementary school kids. Instead, I decided to see what else was in the vicinity. Riding along the not-all-that-picturesque old village lane...:


...I reached a fork in the road, and took a right up into the hills. It wasn't long before I came across some stone steps leading into the trees, so I parked by bike to take a closer look. The trail was overgrown, with several fallen trees that had to be negotiated, while signs that had been posted to explain some interesting aspect or other of the surroundings had weathered away long ago, leaving it up to me to wonder about scenes like this one:


The trail eventually opened up into a wider path that followed a ditch. At one point, the route was lined with a long row of bee hives, which was a little unnerving, but I soon found myself back at Taian Old Station, whereupon I happened upon another path, heading straight uphill. This trail was in much better condition, consisting of wooden staircases for the most part, and in less than 10 minutes I was at the top. The top of what wasn't so clear, however, for the trees blocked out most of the view of the valley below, and what could be glimpsed through the foliage wasn't all that enthralling, unless you find paper mills, science park buildings and transmission towers awe-inspiring. Much better views were had back on street level, as I was walking back to my parked scooter...


...and later, from the road on top of the small hill overlooking the station and its environs, as I took a back route toward Houli Station 后里車站:


Later in the evening I took the following photos-of-limited-interest:

こんばんは ("komban wa"), from the Good Night Barbecue Cooking Team 晚安燒烤料理組.

Kirakira Pet Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment