Thursday, May 10, 2012

Back in the U.S., back in the U.S., back in the U.S. of A.

The next step in the journey has taken place - after several weeks of packing and shipping (not to mention throwing out) our things, arranging immigrant visas and making travel arrangements, we finally arrived in the United States yesterday morning. I'll be staying in the Bremerton, Washington area with my parents for the next ten days or so, taking care of a lot of small details, before flying to the other Washington (D.C.) on the 18th. Amber and Pamela are going to stay here for about a month before joining me, partly to keep my dad company, but mainly to allow my wife plenty of time to get used to life in her new country of residence (even if that's likely to be of short duration).

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone back in Taiwan who took the time to say goodbye and/or to wish us luck in our new adventure. I wasn't able to see everyone in person, but I appreciate all the comments I received. Here are some of the farewells:

Saying goodbye to my best friend Steve at the Frog in Taichung 台中, and wishing him success in getting his school up and running:


Driving up with Michael Turton to Hukou 湖口, where I had the pleasure of finally meeting MJ Klein, along with his wife Hui-chen and a couple of his friends, Rashmi and Van (not pictured, unfortunately):


I was invited out to dinner on a couple of occasions by some of my students, a few of whom I hadn't seen in quite a while:



And on our last night in Fengyuan (Sunday) 豐原, we took Pamela's mother and brother out to dinner at a local Japanese restaurant:



No comments:

Post a Comment