Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Spicy figurines

In the supermarket last night, I was surprised to find a machine dispensing betel-nut girl figurines. There are five of them in the series, and I had previously bought two until my source, a machine in front of the local Blockbuster video store, was replaced. So last night I inserted 120 NT, and added a new one to my collection. Here she is:


Here are the other two:


On a completely different note, I went to the dentist today for a check-up. According to the sign outside the building, the clinic was on the 4th floor. However, the sign next to the elevator door said it was on the 5th floor. The confusion was cleared up when I went inside and looked at the panel


Of course. As in Japan, in Chinese the word for "4", which is "ssu" ("sih"), is also a homonym for "death". And so the fourth floor disappears, and bad luck is avoided. It must have worked, because my teeth are fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment